Sunday, October 4, 2015

Homeless shelter/ labor induction

Michel and I volunteered at a homeless shelter. It was our first time. We signed up for the dinner shift. It was in the basement of a church in Berwyn. Almost every person I told after had already done it and PADS has it down to every detail. I am not sure how its funded. I will ask.
We got there at the appointed time and were introduced to a woman who was the "site captain" I said "Cool" she said "No it really isn't. She told us to sit down and relax as the doors would not open for some time. She sat next to us and played "candy crush saga" as we watched from around her shoulder. Someone had already laid out mattresses with sheets folded on top of them. And taken out all the plastic serving utensils. I thought we would cook but someone shows up with a hot tray of Mostaccioli at just the right time.
When the doors opened ten people immediately came in. It was hard to tell the homeless from just more volunteers. The homeless all knew what to do and began making their beds. After that we served them dinner. They were more polite than most people. I waited tables for years and no one was as polite. When they were eating we were encourage to mingle. I sat down and noticed that some had I phones. I was being snubbed with I phone usage even here. 
Getting snubbed with phones is now a coined phraise.



One woman told me she has a job. Another woman had a stroller and I finally saw that what she was carefully swaddling in a blanket was a tiny stuffed deer. She left food by it's mouth in case it would eat later.
We will go back next month. I feel that it was a great thing to do together. We discussed it for a long time after. 



Later in the weekend I attempted to induced labor in a woman who is past due. She is a fan of acupuncture so I was able to do something my teacher, who studied in Korea does. She needles the acupuncture points around the sacrum and puts TENS unit clips on the needles. Thus sending electrical stimulation into the area that innervates the uterus.
Sunday I ran by this house that has a way better pond than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment